1. Skip-counting ~ a NECESSARY foundation, a point of reference to figure out a basic fact.
2. Combine skip-counting with the basic facts ~teach the facts as fact families.
3. Be creative with a variety of approaches ~ use these approaches throughout the ENTIRE year in whole group, small group, and individual practice!
4. Give your students a "real" audience ~ move your creations beyond the walls of your classroom:
*Embed in your class blog or website
*Share with other classes via Twitter, Edmodo, FaceBook, email and other forms of social media
*Send home QR codes for parents and students to use outside of school.
Creative Approaches: used as either whole class, small group or individual practice.
Multiplication Rap & Hip-Hop
B. Video and movement: Allow students creative license in developing their interpretation of the music then capture the video to use throughout the year.
ENTER CONGA LINE VIDEO HERE
Join the Conga Line! from K Tripp on Vimeo.
|iPad apps for studying and practicing basic math facts.|
1. Hungry Fish: students group numbers to equal a given number
4. Mult Div
5. MathFacts: individual student accounts allow progress to be tracked
6. FastFacts X
7. Timed Test: timer can be turned on or off. Students have their own accounts and can email progress reports to you, parents or themselves.
8. Wings: individual student accounts allow students to return to where they left off in their adventure
9. SushiMonster: higher level thinking challenges and provides for larger math problems beyond the basic facts
10. HyperBlast (our class favorite, especially the boys!)
VERY IMPORTANT: Continue to review math facts all throughout the year. This reinforced practice will pay dividends as you move to longer problems involving multi-steps processes. Students will be able to focus more on the process instead of trying to remember their basic math facts!
Contact and Social Media information for Kitty Tripp